Our Tale  

After nine months of intense re-construction and remodeling, T.W. Martin’s Public House opened for the first time in May of 2005. Much of the work was done by the partners themselves along with spouses and family members. The original owners of the business, Denis Wandtke, Paul Mayou, David Forsythe and Terry Martin all envisioned a warm space, where all would be comfortable, enjoying a drink, and sharing a good meal amidst good conversation and continued camaraderie. Much like the traditional pubs of Ireland where families had very little “living space” in their homes, entire families would gather every evening at “The Public House” or “The Pub” for short. There the men would gather at the bar to share a pint or two and discuss politics, sports or their news of the day. The women and children were restricted to “The Snug” which was usually a small room off the bar, where they could visit and partake in their many interests. Obviously, today all are welcome in the Pub’s Bar and Restaurant area. “The Snug” concept is kept alive at the pub with a special meeting and party room located upstairs. Recently, Denis Wandtke, Paul Mayou and Terry Martin bought out one original partner. In an effort to constantly upgrade the level of quality and service at T.W. Martin’s Public House, the owners are proud to announce the addition of a new partner, Shan Speers, to assume the day to day operations of our successful Pub and Restaurant. Shan brings years of quality experience to the Pub and Restaurant industry and the entire staff hopes you welcome them with 100,000 welcomes, Caed Mille Failte’, just as we do.

So, come through our doors and be greeted by our lovely new partner, Shan. Make yourself comfortable and expect to be treated as family. Our goal is to impress you with our food, drink and atmosphere; lighten your load and see you smile. We hope to see you soon and often.

Our vision of an authentic, yet modern, Pub

  • Quality Atmosphere
  • Old World Character
  • New Age Technology
  • Excellent Food served in a traditional pub atmosphere.
  • Fresh Soups and Salads Burgers to Seafood & Steaks
  • Always introducing New Dishes as well as traditional Irish Fare.
  • Outdoor Courtyard Seating
  • The Snug Meeting and Party Room
  • Non-smoking Indoor Environment

Building History
The structure that houses T.W. Martin’s Public House was constructed in 1868 by Jens Hansen. From 1868 until the 1880’s Mr. Hansen owned and operated a successful carriage factory and wagon shop in the heart of a thriving downtown Waupaca, Wisconsin. The uppermost exterior is still intact and can be seen on West Fulton Street, just east of Main Street in the heart of historical downtown Waupaca. At the time the building was built the Waupaca river ran directly behind the building where a the present park roadway is now located.

The Waupaca River was used for the transportation of materials essential to the manufacture of Hansen carriages and wagons. Boats delivered raw materials directly into the building through the floor where the Pub’s kitchen is now located. The materials were stored in the lower level, then moved to the Pub’s “Snug” level of the building via freight elevator. The freight elevator was located where the kitchen grill area of the Pub is now. Materials were cut to patterns, assembled and then moved to the top floor of the building.

The top floor was where the carriages were painted, finished and moved to the street level where they were displayed to the public for sale. The street level also housed a Blacksmith shop where a resident Blacksmith fabricated all the metal parts for the wagons and carriages. The Blacksmith also shoed horses.

One interesting bit of trivia is the indelible mark the Blacksmith left on one interior wall of the building. Now the office of Architect Terrence W. Martin, one wood wall bears the charred marks of hot horseshoes where the Blacksmith would hang his finished work. The Historic Jens Hansen Building was home to many businesses over these many years such as an implement store, similar to a John Deere dealer, a motorized carriage shop (auto dealership), a plumbing company, a recycling center, a small restaurant and arcade and finally a video store with tanning booths. It was then purchased by Terry Martin and Steve McBain in 1992.

Martin and McBain converted the top floor into a two bedroom loft apartment that featured the exposed, original wood post and beam construction and steel bracing rods. In the kitchen area, the original freight elevator cables, pulleys and support beams remain intact and dangle ominously, 16 feet above the raised kitchen floor. After purchasing McBains’ half of the building, Mr. Martin continued his work converting the street level space into four offices, one to house his architectural firm and three others to be leased to professional businesses.

In 1994, Martin and his brother Jim visited the British Isles and Ireland where they came upon the idea to convert the lower levels of the building into an authentic Irish pub. It was not until 2004 that Martin was lucky enough to find friends who shared his passion and the project began to take shape. Denis Wandtke and Paul Mayou, two local business owners, shared Martins’ vision and brought to the table, the business and financial savvy and experience to make the dream of “The Pub” a reality. In May of 2005, T.W. Martin’s Public House was born. The Jens Hansen Building (Home to T.W. Martin’s Public House) was built in 1868 and is listed on The National Historic Register. The building and its owner, still proudly showcase its original field stone walls wooden posts and beams. Outside, the street level facade still reflects the integrity of the original carriage house, including the inscription “Live and Let Live.” The motto reflects the owners philosophy for this and all, fine historic landmarks. The Jens Hansen Building is the perfect setting for an authentic Irish Pub. Come see for yourself.



©2006 - . www.TWMARTINS.com - All rights reserved.

111 Cooper Street, Waupaca, Wisconsin 54981 - MAP
Site Design by Wolf